College can be super scary. Not going to lie, the first couple weeks were an adjustment. I had a horrible cold, less friends than fingers, and no idea how I was going to balance everything I’d committed to this semester. Looking back there are definitely some things I would change, but overall I’ve built a pretty good foundation here. Master freshman year- check.
I really never thought I would find friends as funky and go-to as my high school buddies, and maybe I just got lucky, but I can’t imagine school without Lauren, Molly, Sabrina, Averie, & Olivia. There are still so many people out there to meet & I can’t wait to find more goofballs, but I love these girls. Now that the semester is ending I’m kind of panicking, what am I going to do without them for over a month?
I really want to focus in on one friend in particular, my lovely bed buddy, Oliveoco. Here’s the cutest/creepiest roommate story of the centry, so get ready. It’s totally When Harry Met Sally meets The Lovely Bones.
I found Olivia’s Facebook profile while stalking the UMD Scholars group online. She was one of 3 girls at the time. Me, some wierdo, and her. I friended her because her profile pictures were artsy, cute, and fun- three things I definitely wanted my college experiences to be. Little did I know that she was a high school poms captain, too. Was it fate? Duh. We swapped competition videos and thus began our six month internet friendship. Our first date was a group hang, where I met her two best friends, Molly and Dina, and she met some of mine. We shared sandwiches and Korean Tacos & explored Olney and DC together. I told you we were super adorable.
From late night dorm room chats to our usual table with Lauren in the dining hall (RIP us. Please mail food it’s already too cold to leave the dorm. We will probably starve this winter if you don’t send anything), I literally can’t imagine learning how to vacuum with everyone else. Besides agreeing to get married if we are both 50 and single, here are 15 ways I know I’m meant to be with my roommate forever…
- She gives me the large amounts of attention I need to survive daily.
- She lets me keep tofu and quinoa and cheese sticks in our fridge… and sour patch kids in our freezer.
- She talks to me in her sleep because she loves me just that much.
- She motivates me to go to the gym when I so totally don’t want to.
- She doesn’t judge my candy addiction.
- She throws away all her extra candy because she knows I will want to eat it and she values my health & dental hygine.
- She can identify all my high school friends by name and college (bonus points if she knows their Instagram handles).
- She listens to me cry for no reason and doesn’t want to kill me afterwards.
- She sends me good luck messages on the reg. Nothing gets you pumped for an exam like a “you’re gonna kill this” text. If Olivia says you’re going to kill this, then you are 100% gonna kill this.
- She also leaves me good luck sticky notes because goals.
- She has the same taste in music and has amazing Spotify playlists (Sleepy & Sad all the way baby).
- She lets me talk about subjects I’m definitely not super informed about (aka politics) just so I can practice sounding smart (the election was a thrilling time for room 2112 Cambrige Hall).
- She’s always down for a dorm room dance party & chill kind of night
- She gets extremely over excited about the little things in life & never fails to brighten your day.
- This list could honestly go on forever.
Transitions are always a little rough. Middle school to high school. Team member to captain. There’s sometimes a lot of bad that comes with the potentially good. I guess I just want to thank my internet friend/roommate/future fish owner (we’re going to adopt a fish eventually) for giving me a semester of bff memories. Love you from the chapel to the XFinity center.
And to all my other UMD sisters from other misters, your blog posts are coming, don’t you worry.
Stuck in my head: White Blank Page // Mumford and Sons
Snap this: Union Market (again ugh just so photogenic and beautiful)
Blogging instead of studying? Totally going to kill this finals thing.